Subject: Re: [Leica] Weird Misloads...
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:14:51 -0700

At 01:59 AM 6/12/98 , Bryan Willman wrote:
>Harrison,
>
>First, I'll be *very* careful and watch
>for this being a problem in the camera.
>(Unlike your friend's Nikon, it is very
> economic to repair my M6s (:-))
>
>Second, depending on which
>M6 it is, it's either 6 months old
>or was CLA's 6 months ago.
>(But that doesn't mean there isn't
> a failure in a drive unit, eh?)
>
>Finally, isn't having the image
>spill over onto the sprocket holes
>a sign of some sort of mistake
>on my part?

I have an advantage over most of the members of the LUG,
having actually seen Bryan load film into his M6.

Let me guess, Bryan.  The misloaded roll(s) were exposed
using an M6's with an Abrahamsson rapidwinder.
(I'm near certain that I've misspelt Tom's surname.  I apologize
in advance).

I think the problem is that the film is not getting loaded
correctly, and is either failing to engage with the
sprocket drive properly, or is failing to engage it
at all.

In fact, I think the problem (having watched Bryan
stuff film into his M6) is that the fact that the Rapidwinder
lacks the little basket that fits over the three pronged
takeup spool means that there's nothing to force
the film fully *down*.  Note that if it doesn't get
pushed fully down (and down is defined as if
you load an M6 with the bottom of the camera UP)
the film won't seat between the film guides/rails,
and thus won't be running over the sprockets
properly.

I note that the Rapidwinder has a screw that goes
into the takeup spool, as if you should unscrew the
little basket thing from the M6 baseplate, and put it
on the rapidwinder.  Am I right?

- -Paul