Subject: Re: [Leica] birthing - on call!
From: Paul Chefurka <pchefurk@ca.newbridge.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:45:27 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:

> Even though I have photographed many birthings, all "family pictures" not
> crotch shots, as these never do anything for friends or family!!! Trust me,
> forget the "head emerging kinds of stuff!" Unless you are a medical
> photographer and the pictures are for "medical purpose" and not for showing
> at the next coffee club meeting. Or the grand parents, "old folks don't
> understand these kinds of pictures!"

The most moving opener I ever saw to a baby album was a b&w taken by
the father.  It showed his son, upside down, heels gripped in the
doctor's hand, umbilicus still attached.  Just the baby and the hand
full frame, with the umbilicus trailing away out of view.  Nothing
really gross, just the essence of the moment.

I doubt the boy will appreciate it much till he's in his 30's or
40's, but what a memento to have of one's entrance into this world!

Paul