Subject: Re: [Leica] Collapsable Elmar
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:21:03 +0200

>From: Dave Richards <rchdp@worldnet.att.net>
>Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 14:55:40 -0600
>Subject: [Leica] Collapsable Elmar
>
>I'm curious about the current version of the 50/2.8 collapsable Elmar-M.
>How does it stack up against the current 50/2 Summicron-M?  Does the
>difference in size and 'pocketability' make up for the difference in
>overall image quality?  In practical terms, what are the main differences
>between it and the 50/2?
>
>Dave

The 2 lenses have been tested (MTF AT 40 LP/MM has said to me Ronan Loaec,
chief-editor of CI) by the french review Chasseur d'Images. At 2.8 the
elmar is only "good-good" (center-edge)whereas the summicron is "very
good-good". At 5.6 the 2 lenses reach the optimum : "VG-VG for the Elmar ;
EXc-VG for the summicron.Moreover the elmar has a slight distorsion.
As the price is the same (in France)or slightly the same in the USA, it
seems reasonable to buy a summicron.