Subject: [Leica] attachments
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:06:38 -0300

- --=====================_898020398==_

Pat:

I think what you may have confused is the difference between a WWW link and
an attachment.  For example, I will put a link below:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/elmar2.8.JPG

This is just a link to a file on the WWW.  An intelligent email program
will show it as a clickable link.  The file is only tranfereed to your
computer and browser when you click on the link.

I will also attach a file to this message.  In this case, for size
considerations, it is a one line notepad text file about 42 bytes long.
This file would have been uploaded to your computer and all other lug users
computers when they checked their mail.  If this was a picture file, it
would be a thousand times bigger at around 42,000 bytes.  If you got enough
of these attachments on the LUG, it would take hours to download your
messages.

The solution is to upload your pictures to the personal web space that most
Internet Providers include for their users.  You do not have to make a home
page, but simply upload the file using a FTP program and then send the lug
the location of that file.  If you call your ISP help line, they will tell
you where to get the info on doing this.

Regards,

Robert Stevens

At 10:24 AM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello Carl,
>I did not realize that it would cause problems for some. I don't and have
>not sent attachments, but, I do see some who have attachments. I,
>therefore, just assumed that people did it as they needed.
>Thanks for the info.
>Pat
>prm@photonewsnetwork.com
>Minox007@aol.com
>1-732-288-0009
>
>----------
>> From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
>> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] trip from the US
>> Date: Monday, June 15, 1998 11:51 PM
>>
>> Pat wrote:
>>
>> > then write to
>> > the LUG and send your favorite photos as an attachment to your e-mail
>> > messages to the LUG. You can also get free software on the web under
>> > "thumbnails".
>>
>> Pat and Ferdinand,
>>
>> While it may be easy you will not believe the amount of grief you will
>> receive if you do that. On the LUG it is considered bad form, heavy
>> karma, a no-no and generally in bad taste to attach files to your
>> postings. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)
>>
>> --
>> Carl Socolow
>>
>> Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.

Test attachment file - only one line long