Subject: [Leica] [Fwd: internet copyright lawsuit]
From: fbrunell@bonzai.net (Francois Brunelle)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:20:32 -0400

- --------------58DB5D62922818D7EC5EEF64

Might interest some of you...

- --------------58DB5D62922818D7EC5EEF64

Date:         Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:16:30 -0400
Sender:       NPPA Discussion List <NPPA-L@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU>
From:         Joe Traver <TRAVER@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      internet copyright lawsuit
To:           NPPA-L@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU

Dear Friends,

Please feel free to pass this message along to any interested =

photographers, photo editors and others.

I brought this lawsuit in order to try to show that there is still =

copyright protection in the digital age.  I'd like to alert as many =

people as possible of this example.

=2E..Bill Swersey

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

(C) 1998, Editor & Publisher.

Friday, June 12, 1998

$3,500 TO FREELANCE PHOTOG For Image Taken From Web Site

by David Noack

The Boston Herald has paid $3,500 in an out-of-court settlement for =

grabbing a freelance photographer's work off the Discovery Online Web =

site and publishing it in the newspaper without the photographer's =

permission.

The agreement with the Herald, which was reached in late March, was =

sparked by a copyright infringement lawsuit filed in December 1997 in =

U.S. District Court in Boston by Bill Swersey, a New York-based =

photographer. He claimed the newspaper used the photograph he took for =

Discovery Online without his permission.

The legal arguments centered on whether the Herald had committed =

copyright infringement or was using the picture according to "fair use" =

standards. While the Herald settled the case, it did not admit to any =

wrongdoing or liability.

A Web Turnabout

In the area of online copyright and fair use legal controversies, it's =

usually newspapers that go after Web site developers for posting pictures=
 =

and text taken, linked or framed from the virtual publication. But in =

this case, the print newspaper was the culprit.

Swersey is a freelancer who has shot for the New York Times, Time, =

Newsweek and other print publications.

The subject of the photograph was Dave Kerpen, an entertaining concession=
 =

worker who was selling soft drinks last year at Boston Red Sox games at =

Fenway Park. Swersey was on assignment for Discovery Online =

(http://www.discovery.com), the Web version of the Discovery cable =

channel. Last July, he was retained to shoot "slice of life" pictures =

from around New England for an online "Picture of the Day" feature. He =

was paid less than $2,000 by Discovery Online for the work.

Photo Appears in Herald Weeks Later

The picture of the vendor balancing soft drinks on his head was published=
 =

on the Discovery site on July 18. The photograph was licensed for =

publication with Swersey's permission. The Discovery Online Web site =

includes a copyright disclaimer link at the bottom of the page. A few =

weeks later, on Aug. 6, the same photograph appeared in the Herald, =

accompanied by some other photos and a story about Kerpen being fired =

from his job.

"I decided to pursue it in large part to make an example," said Swersey. =

"Because I thought it was a very important time to make a case like this.=
"

He first contacted the Herald to find out why the picture was used, but =

said he was given the runaround.

Would Have Wanted $150

Swersey, who also registered the photograph with the U.S. Copyright =

Office, said if the newspaper had called after the photo first appeared =

online and asked to use it, he would have charged only $150.

"Once it was used without my permission, I was going to take a lot more =

than $150, but maybe we would have settled for $500 to $1,000. I think =

they should get a slap on the wrist so they don't do that to anyone =

else," said Swersey, who is now in Russia organizing the InterFoto =

Photojournalism Festival, an annual event.

Robert Dushman, the newspaper's attorney, said they decided to settle the=
 =

case, since going through a court trial would have been more costly in =

the long run.

"Although I thought we had a reasonably defensible claim it was going to =

cost us more to defend it than he was willing to settle for. I actually =

looked at this as a kind of a nuisance settlement," said Dushman, who =

noted that part of the deal also included the rights to use the =

photograph in the future.

While the settlement does not establish any legal precedent, Dushman said=
 =

that maybe the newspaper should have pursued the case in court in light =

of all the publicity the issue has received.

Andrew D. Epstein, Swersey's attorney, said the Herald's "fair use" =

argument in using the photo was unfounded.

"It wasn't fair use. They closely cropped the photograph. They could have=
 =

had somebody looking at the computer screen and there was the picture. =

They could have taken a picture of this vendor looking at the computer =

screen with his picture (at the ballpark) up on the screen. That might =

have been fair use. That would have been newsworthy. A picture of the kid=
 =

looking at himself on the monitor," said Epstein.

He said the Herald cropped the photograph out of the Web page, making it =

appear like it was their picture.

"If the Herald has used the photograph with all of the surrounding =

Website information that is shown on the computer monitor, then the use =

may have been fair use. My contention is that the Herald overstepped the =

bounds of fair use and infringed Bill Swersey's copyright," said Epstein.=

~ ~ ~
David Noack is associated editor of MediaINFO.com.

(C) 1998, Editor & Publisher.

- --------------58DB5D62922818D7EC5EEF64--