Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: Alan Ball/LUNA<AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:07:25 +0200

I agree the monitor is not the main problem, except for colour calibration
purposes. Just like a "bad" 10x loupe will show sharpness differences
between slides, even though a "good" 10x loupe will show them better.

But the main obligation here is to publish a  (very) small portion of a
(very) high res scan to allow discussions on optical performances of
lenses. Hardly anyone goes through the pain of doing this (know a site ?).
And it would be quite boring .

So, let us summarize: the Web can be a great medium to showcase one's
ability to shoot relevant and/or interesting and/or moving and/or
innovative and/or informative and/or saleable images; it is a disappoiting
medium for those who want to showcase the 'superiority' of high end super
expensive hardware.

At the end of the line, the Web is much more cruel than other forms of
image publication or projection towards the unimaginative or the plain
boring pictures. Too many sites miss that point : it is perfectly OK to
share happy snapper pictures with the rest of the world but it sure is
risky to present them as a showcase for one's high end photographic
equipment or one's 'artistic sensibility'...

Alan
Brussels-Belgium

"Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org> on 17/06/98 07:30:22
Please respond to leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us