Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 21:52:50 -0500

At 03:50 PM 6/17/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Could you tell us more: how does it work ? how reliable have you found it ?
>Did you test various mainstream monitors one next to the other to check
>consistency ? And how is the calibration tested ? With a reference print
>out (and printed out of what ?) ? Thanks beforehand for your explanations.

I compared it to the Mac monitor at work that is calibrated for our
newspaper. Dang close. The way I did it is to open a picture on my monitor
that I know very well from the monitor at work. If they look the same (this
is obviously a weak point, color memory isn't that great) and see that my
monitor now tones pictures just like the one at work, it's close.

The real advantage is for the future, when everyone is using the same
calibration scheme. Every monitor using Photoshop 5 will be calibrated to
the same standard. The calibration wizard leads you through the steps. You
need to know what phosphors your monitor uses (i.e. Trinitron, etc.) and
the rest is matching colors and tones. It leads you through the steps.

By unifying how all computers and monitors calibrate, it will eventually
lead to every computer having the same output to the screen, and matching
that to output from prints and presses. It's going to take a while before
this really works for everyone. But when it does, it will make working in
color consistent.

It's based in ICC color control, BTW, and new calibration methods that are
being accepted industry wide.

Besides, get Photoshop 5 anyway. Magnetic pen and lasso and action palettes
and other new features (history brush!!!!!!) are worth the price of the
upgrade and then some.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Borger King. Have it our way. Your way is irrelevant.