Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG web space project
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:43:10 -0700

At 02:43 PM 6/18/98 , Alfred Breull wrote:

>Danny, we may discuss the subject, when Francesco gets his USD 3.47 million
>back again, because he is innocent.
>
>To me, question is, whether the LUG, LUG members, or what they represent
>can afford, to be associated in essential parts with copyright violations
>and porn.
>
>Maybe not from outside. But - we know it, that's the point.
>
>Alf

Sometimes my tendency to sarcasm obscures what
I'm trying to say.  Let me attempt to say it clearly.

Francesco offered to make available to LUG members
server space for 40-50 images.  That's images PER
MEMBER, not total.  He offered bandwidth on his T-1.
He even offered scanning services for those without
scanning equipment.  And, to top it all off, he offered
to do it free.  And he offered it to anyone who cared
to take him up on it - and there are hundreds of
people reading this list.  To make that offer to all
those people is not just generous, it's incredible.

In my opinion, that's a hell of a gracious offer for him
to make.  I'd like to thank him for making it, regardless
of whether I ever get to take advantage of it.

If you don't want to take him up on his offer, fine -
don't participate.  But I think it's pretty damn rude
to insult him instead of politely declining.  And I
think it's even more rude to insult him in a public
forum read by hundreds of people.

All of the issues you've raised - the issues of
copyrights, the issues of the web site being
associated with Five Senses, all of that -
it all could have been discussed politely.  I can
see no reason for the rudeness.  It's inexcusable.

- -Paul