Subject: [Leica] LHSA, LFI, M Leica Books
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:32:29 EDT

You might consider joining the LHSA.  Originally, our main interest was in
Leica history and collecting, but in the last several years we have shifted
our empahsis to the Leica user as well.  Our quarterly journal, the
Viewfinder, has many articles on using Leicas as well as product reviews by
LUGnuts such as myself and Tom A.  In the next Viewfinder, we will have user
reports on the new Tri-Elmar, the 21/2.8 ASPH, universal polarizing filter.
Brian Bower himself will be speaking at our annual meeting Oct. 2-4 in Denver.

As far as books for the M user, Brian Bower's is very good.  A new translation
of the updated grandaddy of all M books, the Leica M book by Gunter Osterloh
is due out soon.  There is also a revised, translated version of Urs Tilmann's
the Leica Photo School coming.  Lots of good reading.

As for LFI, although it is nicely printed and occasionally has interesting
articles, it is but a ghost of its former self during its heyday in the 50's
and 60's.

You might be interested to know that when Roy Moss became editor of the
Viewfinder a few years ago, he used the American Leica Photography as his
model.  Many of us remember the old Leica Photography as one of the best Leica
magazines ever.  The Viewfinder has also recived the same kink of praise.

Bill Rosauer