Subject: [Leica] Minilux Zoom--very disappointing
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:46:07 -0800

>The info about the new MINILUX ZOOM are now
>on the Leica Camera web site:
>
><http://www.leica-camera.com/compact/cmlxzoom_e.htm>
>
>Lucien

It looks like Leica have fallen quite short of the competition here. The
Contax Tvs (which takes beautiful photos) costs the same (or less) and is a
better camera.

A quick comparison:

Contax:			Leica:

1/700			1/250
top shutter speed

16			1
bottom shutter speed

+/- 5 EV (1/3 step)	+/- 2 EV (1/2 step)
exposure comp.

- -0.4 EV			2.5 EV
meter sensitivity

Aperture priority	No aperture priority

0.5 cm close focus	0.7 cm close focus

28mm			35mm
widest angle

Simple mechanical	Motor driven (battery draining)
lens zoom

5			No filter threads
available filters

0.38-0.68x		0.33-0.57
viewfinder mag.

In every instance the Minilux Zoom loses out. Unless someone can
demonstrate that the lens is clearly superior to that on the Tvs, the MZ
has nothing to offer. I shot a roll of film with the Tvs and the lens was
excellent, so coming up with something very much better in a point and
shoot wouldn't be easy. In addition, I trust Kyocera to be a more reliable
manufacturer of electronic cameras than Leica given their track records (I
have a friend who's had to have _two_ R8s replaced for electronic problems,
and they were treated very kindly).

The only reason that I can see to buy a Minilux Zoom would be blind brand
loyalty.

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu