Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 summicron
From: Michael Garmisa <elmar@webreach.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:59:37 -0400 (EDT)

On 19-Jun-98 Ted Grant wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>>Where the lens that were/are made in canada made at a specific time or
>>throughout the production run, if i pay leica prices i would just rather have
>>the german lens.>>>>>>>>
>
> Michael,
>
> My Canadian red maple leaf blood is showing again! :)
>
> If the lens is/was made in Canada or Germany, why would you want the one
> made in Germany when they are exactly the same?  Or do you suppose we
> Canadians don't know how to put them together as well as the Germans? :)
> When we designed many of the new lenses, like the Noctilux for example and
> we built them here.
>
> I just wondered.
>
> You might be interested to know, that when Leica was producing M cameras
> and lenses at their plant in Midland, Canada, we Canadians paid exactly the
> same price as everyone else in the world. Manufacturing them in Canada
> didn't get us any dollar breaks on the price at any time and we paid "Leica
> prices" the same as everyone else.
>
> ted
I dont know why, I'm sure the candian lens are just as good but when i spend
all that money, this will be my most expensive purchase of my life, but I have
an M3 with a 90 collaps elmar and i think they are a beautiful match, just think
leica is german and should be made in germany, it has nothing to do with
canada, if it was made in any other country in the world(including the USA) i
would say the same.
- --
Michael Garmisa <elmar@webreach.com>
20-Jun-98 11:56:16