Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 08:57:43 -0400

Erwin,

While it seems clear that digital photography is destined to occupy an ever
increasing share of the market and to eventually dominate that market, I
think it's much to early to forecast the demise of the Leica.  Consider the
field camera.  While the market decided decades ago that advances in film
quality, lens design, and a whole host of other technological advances had
obviated the advantages of that low-tech, large format genre, there is still
a thriving market both for the cameras themselves and for the art produced
with them.

I personally don't understand how anyone who has understood and been able to
exploit the advantages of the M-series cameras could think they could equal
the results with a "simple compact camera."  The optical qualities and the
versatility afforded by the lenses available to the Leica user are just the
beginning of the argument.  There are subtle yet important differences in
quality of construction which tranlate to the confidence in the instrument.
One knows that certain mechanical worries are superfluous and can go on to
concern himself (or herself) with composition, relationship to the subject,
lighting, etc.

I personally look forward to the day when the Leica M has the emulsion film
market to itself and the hackers and wanna-be artists can go play with their
latest digital toys which they must throw away every two years because the
latest generation uses a new format and is no longer compatible with the
last one.  I'll still be using my venerable 35mm emulsion film cameras and
lenses and taking better pictures than they could ever dream of.

Let's keep in mind that in this day of instantaneous communication via the
internet and two way TV, a day in which every idiot has a word processor at
his/her disposal,  the standards and quality of written communication are at
an all time low. Just listen to the radio, watch TV, or read the newspaper.
Even on the rare occasions when the grammer and spelling are correct, the
content is banal, trite, meaningless.  It's all designed to appeal to the
masses and sell whatever it is that's most profitable today.  The same is
true in the photographic arena.  I'm sure that Leica will do what Nikon,
Cannon, et al are doing.  They will pursue that portion of the market as
well with aps products, digital imaging, etc.  But they will continue to
sell a small number of M-series cameras to a few discerning individuals.

Bruce S.