Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:13:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/98 6:35:24 AM EST, imxputs@knoware.nl writes:  << The
discussion I would like to start would concentrate on what this group
 (especially the large silent majority) thinks are the real virtues of Leica
 photography and how or in what way Leica pictures are different from  others.

Erwin, your points are well taken.  Actually, I see that Leica can prosper in
the era of digital and APS.  Certainly, these two technologies will decrease
the use of 35 mm overall.  However, I do not believe that they will decrease
Leica 35 mm photography in all areas.

I see Leica as most useful for two types of photography.

1) Critical photography - where the best absolute quality of 35 mm photography
is important. I do not think that the type of critical photography.

2) Simple traditional photography - where a simple quality camera system is
important to a photographer who prefers a traditional system like Leica (as
opposed to a more elaborate, complicated, camera system with more features).

I see Leica prospering in both of these areas.  For the critical photographer,
the quality of the Leica system is a great attraction.  The new generation of
Leica lenses presents an opportunity for a photographer to try to use a
technique that is as good as the lenses.  As you have so often pointed out,
few photographers use techniques that fully exploit the full quality of the
best Leica lenses.  For those who do seek the ultimate quality in 35 mm
phonographs, Leica should continue to prove quite attractive.  Neither APS nor
digital offers any attraction in this area at this time.

For the simple traditional photographer, Leica will also continue to offer
advantages over digital and APS.  For such a photographer, the absolute
critical quality may not be the attraction of Leica, but the simplicity and
feel of the system is a great attraction.  This Leica "feel" and simplicity is
simply not there in APS or digital.

I see a bright future for Leica if they continue to make improvements as they
have been doing.  I do believe that they need to pay much more attention to
quality assurance than they do.  I am very pleased with the lenses and bodies
I have, but I had to send back several bodies and lenses because of quality
control defects.  I also believe that they would do well to introduce a new M
body in addition to the current M6 (not as a replacement).  The new body
should have a mechanical or electronic metal focal plane shutter and TTL, with
perhaps shutter priority autoexposure.