Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:46:24 -0800

>I'm sure many newcomers have asked this before, but since i've joined I
>have seen postings mentioning "bokeh" but no explanation as to what it
>is.  I am curious... is this some kind of lens characteristic? And what
>does it mean in terms of picture quality?  Thanks in advance to anyone
>who can enlighten me...

Bokeh is a Japanese term for describing the qualities of the out of focus
portions of a photograph. Lenses render these out of focus regions
differently, and there are many terms in Japanese for the differences.

In practice I find that Bokeh is important in preserving the appeal of
images that have a shallow depth of field. The worst Bokeh that I've ever
seen was on a Nikkor AF 50 f/1.4 lens that I used to own. The background at
wide apertures was very distracting: lines were doubled and the edges of
objects were harshly blurred instead of softly blurred. Leica lenses tend
to render the out-focus-areas as pleasantly blurred. Such a rendering keeps
the eye drawn to the subject without distraction. I had noticed this before
I discovered the word Bokeh in the articles written in Photo Techniques
last year. That the Japanese had a word for it reassured me that I wasn't
crazy in thinking that this effect was very important in producing
asthetically appealing photographs.

Some folks on the list think that Bokeh is irrelevant. I think that a good
Bokeh is one of the most desireable qualities of a lens that you will use
at wide apertures, especially for portraits. The 90/2.8 Elmarit-M has a
beautiful Bokeh.

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu