Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 16:44:19 -0700

From Charles Dunlap:

>Bokeh is like smell. Something that smells strongly can smell good or bad.
>Something with "Lots of Bokeh" is not neccessarily pleasing. I had a Nikon
>lens with lots of Bokeh, and I stopped shooting with it.
>
>-Charlie

Charles,
Are you saying then that when a Lug member enthusiastically announces "lots
of Bokeh" regarding a lens for sale - or in describing how a lens performs -
he/she is using the term improperly ? Or is he/she saying that there is
Bokeh but it may or may not be acceptable?

Don’t all lenses have the same degree of out of focus effect at a given
opening but that effect varies in quality with the lens design, thus Bokeh?

Finally, if Bokeh is the "quality" or "pleasant quality" of out of focus
areas in a photograph, would not "lots of Bokeh" mean "lots of pleasing out
of focus rendition"?

Just asking of course.
Joseph Codispoti