Subject: [Leica] Ramblings about "Made in Germany" and a new Leica R4
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:31:16 -0400

>I just received my first Leica in ages, a "Made in Portugal" R4 with a
>well loved "Made in Canada" 50mm f2. Gods, but I'm impressed. Both feel
>very smooth and solid. Turning that focusing ring just fills me with
>confidence. Though I've only had it a day, I cannot be more pleased with=

>my new acquisition.

Congratulations on your "new" Leica!  The confidence in the smooth, solid=

controls has made an important differnce in my photographs; perhaps it wi=
ll
in yours, too.

>When the fortunes of a company turn down, even from a very high point,
>worker moral and quality goes down. When the fortunes of a company turn
>up, even if the company overall is at a low point, moral and quality
>really rise.

Excellent point.  My two favorite lenses are the 400 f/6.8 Telyt (Germany=
)
and an ancient 90mm Summicron-R (Canada).  The 90 was built in the
Leicaflex era, before Leica's downturn of the 1970s and 1980s.  It's
smooth, solid and optically a delight.  I personally don't care what the
country of origin is, or even what company made what component.  As long =
as
the equipment meets Leica specs, it's a Leica.

- -Doug