Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:10:37 +0100

Sure seems like a lot of worried Leica fans out there about this digital
stuff. I've taken a real time philisophical attitude about it.:)

1: I ain't going to be here (not likely) by the time digi cams get to the
point where we can afford them!  And they'll produce the quality or better
than many of tradional films of today.

2: Lots of folks still like to work/play in the darkroom.

3: I've seen some prints that look "nice" but wont cut it with soemone I'm
trying to convince to pay $1000.00 dollars for a print,  let alone $100.00.

4: When digi cams and results produce the quality of a well handled M6 and
tradional film, I'll buy one. Only then if I can afford two or three of
them. I hate changing lenses!!!!!!! :)

5: Yep I figure one of these days the Leica as we know our beloved M
cameras will be like the dodo bird. Extinct! By then we'll be recording
images by some kind of mental image osmosis to a light sensitve image
catcher in our pocket!:)

The secret is, buy a bunch of them now, put them away and some day when you
have worn out you're present one, just open the vault and walla!  A
spanking brand new Leica.... And will you be the envy of the digi folks! :)

You will of course, like putting several new Leicas away, have deep frozen
great bricks of film to last a lifetime.

I look at this like the worry warts of the art world when photgrphy came on
the scene:  "It is the end of painting....no more great masters of oils to
canvas.... it'll never last....... a fad of the rich..... etc etc etc.

And where are we today? The artists use cameras just about as much as they
use brushes and oils! :)

So relax folks. Either buy more Leica bodies and lenses and put them away.
Buy great gobs of film and really deep freeze it! Well not for too long, it
still deteriorates only much slower... And as long as they are producing
film replace the frozen stuff with newer film and you'll always be ahead of
the game.

And best of all? If they stop making film, you'll have multi frozen rolls
that you can corner the market and sell it at $100.00 bucks a roll and have
a great retirement! :)

And laugh all the way to the bank! :) Plus having a Leica & film to
continue your picture taking. :)

Hell when I finally shoot the last frame on the roll,  one lens, one body
and a half dozen rolls are going with me... I want to be ready and loaded
on the other side whereever that might be.:)

And if God wont have me! And the devil wont take me!  Just think of all the
neat images I'll have when they send me back! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant