Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/2 ASPH lenshood (uncontroversial)
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:07:14 -0700

alex,

i think there's something about the paving stones of london streets that
act as an attractant to that lens cap. on a recent trip to london my
lens cap spent time on oxford street outside john lewis and regent street
outside liberty's. eventually i tired of retracing our steps and relegated
the cap to my shirt pocket. to the cap's credit it survived being ground
underfoot without discernable harm. it must be a sign of leica's small
market share that none of the masses of pedestrians stooped to pocket
the cap.

seriously, i think that hanging the camera from your shoulder "lens in"
is what levers the cap off the lens hood. in the jostle of people this
causes the lens to rub against the body while getting swung fore and aft.

on a somewhat related note:

when did they start switching the lights off on london's monuments at night ?
i was looking forward to noctilux pictures of some monuments but was dismayed
to find that all the lights were off both nights i went suitably equipped...

mark