Subject: Re: [Leica] Negative size
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:25:19 -0400

When I bought my 21 SA about 18 years ago I was astounded when I looked at
the first negatives that were produced by it. Consecutive frames were
nearly touching! The top and bottom very nearly touched the sproket holes!

I finally deduced that this was because the SA rear element nearly touches
the shutter. Light leaving it is sent out (at the edges) at such an angle
that exposes film in the area normally blocked by the film gate. These
negatives are (from memory) about 38mm wide.

Cheers!

kw

>>   I was always under the impression that negatives in 35mm were all the
>>same size, based on the size of the film gate in the camera.  I have never
>>noticed that negatives made with wide angle lenses are slightly larger than
>>those made with other lenses.  Can anyone verify that negatives made with
>>wide angle lenses are, in fact, slightly larger?  It just doesn't sound
>>right to me, so I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows whether or not
>>this is true.
>
>I don't think he is implying that some 35mm negatives are larger than
>others.  It is just that most glassless negative carriers are slightlty
>smaller than the 35mm negative, so that if you want to be able to print a
>black edge around the image, you must enlarge the carrier opening.
>
>Dan C.

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>