Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:58:09 +0200

As usual, Erwin has written a thought-provoking post. As a recent Leica convert,
I thought a lot about the question of why I have a Leica. The reason for me is
complex; on one level, it is the objective quality of the lenses. When I looked
at my first slides shot with the M6 and a Summicron 35 that is 20 years old or
so, I was floored by the quality of the image. Last night I was projecting
slides shot in Amsterdam with a borrowed M3 and my 50mm Summilux (also quite
aged), I could really see why I have a Leica: the richness of the colors, the
bokeh--I am a believer. Some of the scenes I had previously shot with my Pentax
equipment, and there is no comparison. Like Erwin, I try to stick to slowish
films, but will happily use Kodak T400CN for street photography. I have decided
that I want this quality in my pictures, whether they are attempts at capturing
the decisive moment, or simply family snapshots.

On another level, I have my Leica because I appreciate fine craftmanship. Once I
handled my M6, fired the shutter, I knew what "Leica feel" means. It may be a
stupid reason to buy such expensive equipment, but I don't care--it is my money
and I work hard for it.

As far as the future of film, I fully expect 35mm film to be around at the end
of  the lifetime of even the youngest and healthiest member of LUG. I think the
market share for APS (25%) that Erwin quotes is quite overstated, I have read in
various magazines that APS is considered a failure from a marketing point of
view. And the Fuji guy who predicted the death of 135 in 4 years must have spent
too much time in Amsterdam's coffee shops.

The advent of digital does not mean the death of silver. Why is it that today I
can walk into any reasonably stocked photo shop and buy anachronistic stuff such
as 4x5 film, roll film, darkroom chemicals etc.? Why has medium format not been
killed by the advent of great 35mm cameras and films? Indeed, there are some
exciting new MF products like the new Pentax 645 or the new Fuji.

And for me, the best proof that film will be with us for a long time is the
tremendous amount of product development being done by Kodak, Agfa, Fuji
etc.--even in B&W film! In fact, B&W is said to be enjoying a renaissance, and I
tend to believe it. You can now even buy B&W disposable cameras! One has to
assume that the product managers at the film companies know what they are doing.

Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium