Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: Dave Fonda <fonphoto@snip.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 98 14:02:42 +0100

I=B9ve been lurking on the list for 2-3 weeks now, and, while it=B9s =
been anything but boring of late (!), I=B9ve never been much into the =
technical end of photography, and I=B9m not a collector (it=B9s tough =
to mix business with pleasure, though, I have to admit, it is a =
pleasurable business!) but you=B9ve hit the nail square on the head =
for me with this topic.

I=B9ve under-gone a drastic change in my photographic pursuits in the =
last two years and now find my self with an aging system and new =
requirements, a fortunate coincidence for my photography, if not my =
wallet!  I=B9ve looked casually at the Leica, as I have at other =
systems, and it seems as though it might be the best suited for my =
needs.  I thought I=B9d listen in on things here for a while to get a =
little better feel for it and I have learned some interesting =
background.  Now that the opportunity has presented itself. I suppose =
I=B9ll jump right in and see if I can get some more specific feedback =
from =8Cthe horse=B9s mouth=B9, so to speak.  (Oops, maybe I =
shouldn=B9t be using that phrase here....  well, just remember which =
end of the horse _I=B9m_ referring to!)

I=B9ve used N___n=B9s for twenty-some years and have been entirely =
satisfied with them;  they=B9ve never let me down.  The first time I =
picked up an F it just slid right into my hand, my fingers fell right =
on the controls, and I knew it was the camera for me.  I=B9ve never =
regretted the decision.

I=B9ve been using the same FM=B9s and an F2 for a dozen years now, =
and the FM=B9s at least are no longer reliable enough for my needs =
(no problems yet, but they=B9re showing their age).  I=B9ve also used =
an employers N90s=B9s for 1+ year.  It made a nice package with a =
20-35 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8 and 80-200 f2.8 and this would be my most =
likely other direction.

What I=B9m doing now is documentary shooting in the fourth world, and =
while I=B9ll still need to do some of the corporate work to help pay =
the bills, my system must primarily meet the requirements for =
documentary shooting.

My main considerations are reliability, portability, image quality =
and, most importantly and most germane to this discussion, shooting =
technique.

My experience with the N___n=B9s leaves me more than satisfied  with =
their reliability;  the current generation of zoom lenses is of at =
least the quality of previous prime lenses and the current generation =
of meters and auto-exposure systems are dead-on 99% (or more) of the =
time.  However.....  !!!  The cost for this technical ability is in =
it=B9s portability;  they ain=B9t.  Not for what I need.  I=B9ve =
already gone through one round of back surgery for carrying the N90s =
system, and I=B9m not getting any younger!  And, more importantly, =
not only are they physically large, they are looking more and more =
like something out of Star Wars!.  Especially the F5;  on both counts =
completely unusable for my needs.

I must be able to relate closely with my subject, to get them to open =
up and be relaxed around me.  This can take days or even weeks under =
the best of circumstances.  Then stick a machine like that between =
us?  Sorry, it=B9s hard enough just being from the 1st world, to say =
nothing of throwing that level of =8Ctechnology=8C in to the mix as =
well.

Well, so far it sounds like I=B9m describing the ideal situation for =
the Leica, huh!  Yes, I=B9m already pretty well committed to getting =
into the system.  But it=B9s a critical decision, and I=B9ve still =
got a few questions.

I don=B9t personally own any zoom lenses, but I=B9ve used them =
extensively and I like being able to change focal lengths on the fly. =
 Pretty much out of the question with the M, I realize, and I guess I =
can continue living with fumbling for the right lens and the quick =
change.  How about the 28-35-50, though?

Are there any options for lenses longer than 135?

One of my major concerns is the metering.  I=B9ve seen this talked =
about a little here, and I=B9ve dealt with manual exposure cameras =
most of my career, so it wouldn=B9t be anything new to me, but why =
not go with the best technology available?

And I=B9ve never shot much with a rangefinder before.  How=B9s the =
transition?  Any tips?

And, then there=B9s shooting technique.  I didn=B9t really mean to =
get this far afield from the topic, but, well, once you get =
started....!  I want as little as possible between me and the =
subject.  I want to get to know my subject, and, as much as possible =
through a photograph, to let the viewer know them.  It=B9s too easy =
to see people for the situation they=B9re in and not who they are;  =
to dismiss them as part of the =8Csuffering masses=B9, rather than as =
an individual like you and me.  I want to be able to drive home the =
point that so very many of us in the 1st world ignore:  our =
tremendous good fortune, that =8Cthere but for the grace of God go =
I=8C, and that these people truely are our fellow wo/men and =
deserving of our help, not our pity.

Hope that didn=B9t sound too preachy for this forum, but that=B9s =
what I=B9m trying to accomplish and it seems as though the Leica =
would be the most appropriate tool.  Any feedback from you people =
shooters out there?

Perhaps this wasn=B9t quite the right thread for the technical =
questions, so maybe they could be answered separately?  And, along =
those lines, there=B9s just about no way that I=B9m going to be able =
to afford M6=B9s and certainly not new ones.  What older Leica gear =
would be appropriate?

I=B9ve enjoyed the enthusiasm and the camaraderie that I=B9ve seen =
here and I=B9d love to continue this discussion, particularly on =
technique....  a major new direction in my work that=B9s been much on =
my mind of late.

Thanks for enduring a rather longer post than I=B9d intended and for =
any feedback.

- -> R E S P E C T <-

         - Dave

=8CSa je pa we, ke pa touen.=B9
=8CWhat the eye doesn=B9t see, doesn=B9t move the heart.=B9