Subject: [Leica] Mid-Range R zooms
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:09:19 -0700

I'm looking for a mid-range zoom for my R system...something in the 28-70 or
35-70 range.  Lucien's comments in the "endangered species" thread seem to
indicate that Leica's current zooms in these ranges are not that good.  I'm
wondering if this relates to thier relatively paltry max apertures, image
quality, or if it'sjust the fact that there is no wide zoom R lens in the
popular 17-35 or 20-35 ranges.

I already have the prime lenses I need for the M system and don't want to
duplicate these on the R system.  I just picked up the latest version 80-200
Vario Elmar, which is great in terms of image quality, but slow compared to
what's available from Canon/Nikon.  A mid-range zoom would be just the
thing.

Any comments/feedback would be helpful and much appreciated.

Jim Laurel
Microsoft Digital Television
jplaurel@microsoft.com
(425) 703-1143