Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: Dave Richards <rchdp@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:31:28 -0600

>The days of emulsion film are numbered.  When you see an entire photo
dept. at
>a major newspaper or news agency go digital, look out, its here!  News
footage
>used to be done on film until video proved better.

I suggest that the reason newspapers and news agencies prefer digital is
speed and cost-per-image, not because digital images are superior.  Since
newspapers and magazines are composited using a digital medium (computers)
it is easier, faster, and more efficient to use images that can be cut and
pasted into a page.  Also, digital images don't degrade over time as
silver-based media do.  And finally, digital storage makes superior use of
space.