Subject: Re: [Leica] Negative size
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:44:02 -0500

At 06:20 AM 6/22/98 -0600, you wrote:

>those made with other lenses.  Can anyone verify that negatives made with
>wide angle lenses are, in fact, slightly larger?  It just doesn't sound
>right to me, so I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows whether or not
>this is true.

It is true. Wide angle lenses (maybe just those not retrofocus, I'm not
sure) do project images at a bit larger and smaller image circles. They are
so close to the film plane that the angle of the light cone is such that it
makes it past the film mask next to the shutter and makes the image on film
bigger. That's why the spaces between frames with older Leicas and their
lenses don't appear even, even though the camera is actually framing
evenly. It's different lenses that make them look uneven.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 Give me ambiguity or give me something else.