Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica S1
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 98 16:02:46 +0800

Eric wrote -

>Jeff, there were people (person?) on this list a couple weeks ago who
>questioned whether it was real or not. I had no doubt.
>- --

Eric,

It was I who doubted, not the existence, but the production of the S1
which after being announced some time ago - last year I recall - took a
long time to get to market and was doubted by some of Leica's
distributors no less as a production item. If it is now in the stores
well I suppose that is great news for some: though my other point at the
time was that it was not so great for typical Leica users since it is
aimed at an entirely different market (i.e. studio digital) which is
already well catered for by better established companies in that field
(such as Sinar). Do you, any other LUGGER or anyone anyone here knows
plan to buy an S1? Can't imagine even the most enthusiastic collector
would spring for one. Whilst the specs do look impressive for the S1 it
seems an odd and IMHO ill-advised move on the part of Leica to be
devoting precious resources to such a product when IMHO they would be
better spent fixing their core lines such as M (which needs, in economic
if not photographic terms an update) and the R line - motor drive,
amongst other items.

It seems that the great tradition of Leica enlargers and obscure
accessories has been dropped, to please the shareholders, whilst the
trendy high-risk field of digital has been embarked upon by a company
that is poorly positioned to take a leading role in this
capital-intensive line. It seems to be an overly expensive and risky
diversion for Leica which is not so financially secure as you suggest:
their growth markets (principally Asia) have been pretty much wiped out
and they have been losing market share amongst professionals for decades
now - just check the annual report figures. For a company whose cachet
depends to a very large extent on their core products professional
excellence this is alarming.

Just my 2 cents

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw