Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/2 ASPH lenshood, London lights & rambling on.
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:24:02 +0100

 Mark <mark@steinberg.net> wrote:

> it must be a sign of leica's small
>market share that none of the masses of pedestrians stooped to pocket
>the cap.

I was surprised too - a black blob on the ground is still a black blob even
if it says Leica on it.
I carry the camera in a small compartment in a Fogg bag, it's putting it
back in the bag that pulls the lenscap off as the end of the lens can brush
against the edge of the bag

>when did they start switching the lights off on london's monuments at night ?
>i was looking forward to noctilux pictures of some monuments but was dismayed
>to find that all the lights were off both nights i went suitably equipped...

Can't say I noticed. As I live here I am always suitably equipped but cycle
past the 'sights' with hardly a glance (although the other week I just had
to photograph Cleopatra's Needle - again!) - haven't passed the Monument at
night for ages. Maybe they are darkening London down for a while so the
Millenium will seem brighter.

One can get stuck so easily in a  'tunnel of reality' in  'normal'
surroundings - the other day I took a walk across the Hungerford footbridge
for the first time in years - the novelty of the sight - like a different
city - meant the camera was busy, hence the lenscap incident in Charing X
station. I have often photographed in snow and fog in places where I've
lived for the same reason - a different view awakens the perception - the
challenge of photography is wakefulness and this is dependent on novelty -
keeping it different to keep the perception active. How we go about
producing this state of awareness is a great work indeed. Of course we boys
need the toys to help play this game and it is important that they are
themselves beautiful and versatile. Like the Leica (phew, back on topic!)

Alex