Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: lens scratches
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:53:20 -0700

People don't realize that scratches or other glitches on a lens element
interrupt such a minuscule number of the light rays that pass through a
lens, to make a photograph, that unless the affected area is large, there
is no way to tell that the photograph was taken by a damaged lens. Perhaps
with optical instruments, but certainly not the human eye looking at a
slide or print. A fine layer of almost invisible dust, scum, oil, (a dirty
lens) will cause far more problems than a scratch, or as Chris said, a
hole. It's the number of rays interrupted and re-distributed (flared) that
cause the problem. A dirty lens affects all the rays, not just a minuscule
number like a scratch or pit. Now for the real controversy... This is even
more important on a filter because a filter does not have the very
expensive, highly refined, extra hard coating that a modern Leica lens has.
Flare caused by grime on a filter is much worse than flare caused by grime
on a lens front element alone. If nothing else, it's additive. And don't
forget, even Leica says that filters can cause flare where a bare front
element won't. Keep those lenses and filters clean, and don't sweat the
minor glitches. Every Leica lens that comes into Ernst Hartmann's (Service
Manager at Leica) hands at a Leica "clean & check" gets a hard rubbing with
a chamois. It leaves his hands clean. If you look at the chamois at the end
of the day, it's ugly! If not already done, someone should buy that APO
180, advertised on the LUG, for $750. A steal!

Jim