Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Focomat IIc
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:27:44 EDT

I have two Focomat IIC in my small darkroom. One is a conventional one with
the Focotar 60/4,5 and a Focotar-2 100/4,5. The 100 mm lens is a phenomenal
lens and the 60/4,5 is OK. I would like to fit my 50 Focotar-2 on it instead
as it is a better lens, but it would require some major surgery to the
helicoil and I have abstained ( so far). It is a massive enlarger, weighing in
at 85lbs and the autofocus is dead on with both lenses ( which is a relief, as
the autofocus system on the IIc is far more complex than the one on the Ic).
It is a very good enlarger and will probably outlast even the youngest LUGger
as well as silverhalide based films!! If you can find one at a reasonable
price it is well worth having. Always check condition of the condensor on
these machines, a replacement condensor is approx $1200 if you can find one!!
 My second IIc is a point source enlarger with 7 aspherically ground
condensors and a small, powerful halogen bulb, built in shutter (by the
predecessor of Uni-Blitz in Rochester,N.Y.). This one barely covers 24x36 mm
and reputedly was designed to produce ultra high resolution images from
surveillance shots done with the 180/3,4.
According to ELCAN's (Ernst Leitz Canada) specsheet it can resolve 265
lines/mm on the easel !!! Nice machine, weighs twice as much as the regular
IIc and is rather fast to print with. 11x14 fibre base, with fiberbase paper
and # 3 filter will print in 0,9 sec. Dodging and burning is rather a snappy
decision!!
 Tom A