Subject: Re: [Leica] Offtopic: Scanners and inkjet printers
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:38:00 +0200

I have been following the thread on the HP PhotoSmart with interest.
Like most (all ?) of us, I scan (CanoScan 2700F) and print (HP
whatever). It is fun. But is it "good" ?

I find it a bit contradictory to spend mountains of fortunes of hard
earned (or not so hardly earned) money on the ultimate quality in 35mm
photography, and then show enthusiasm or even satisfaction towards the
results provided by consumer level scanning and printing.

I admit that progress has been enormous on that front and I am sure
digital is the way of the not so far future. But I refuse to see today's
comsumer grade imaging as a quality alternative to darkroom printing. To
get the most out of a Leica (or Nikpentcanolta) image, you'd need a very
high end scanner, with very high performances in the fields of
resolution, of bit depth analysis and of dynamic range. With consumer
grade scanners, you end up with a compromise file that annihilates 99
pct of the imaging "superiority" we are all looking for in Leica
equipment. That is acceptable if the end-product is a Web page or a
proof print. I find it very hard to accept if the end-product is going
to be a final print.

If one is ready to spend 10,000 USD on a full M system, one should maybe
not act like a low-end shopper when gathering digital capture,
processing and printing equipment.

Put side by side a 18 x 25 cm hand masked Ilfochrome or a high quality
enlargment from a good negative and the print out from any consumer
grade digital imaging system, and the differences will be more than
obvious. If one does not find these differences worthwhile of the
effort, then I sincerely question the motivations to get equipped with
high end cameras and lenses in the first place....

As a matter of fact, I would very much like more bridges going FROM
digital TO emulsion. I'd like to have an easier time getting
Photoshopped files recorded on film !

Friendly regards
Alan
Brussels-Belgium