Subject: Re: [Leica] Offtopic: Scanners and inkjet printers
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:44:55 +0200

On mercredi 24 juin 1998 18:57, Nathan Wajsman
[SMTP:nathan.wajsman@euronet.be] wrote:
> You have indeed piqued my interest here...Can you tell me more about Digiprint? Is it a do-it-
> yourself thing or done at labs? And if it is at labs, where in Brussels can it be
> done? Thanks!

Nathan,

It is done in labs, and FNAC offers the service (maybe others do as
well). It is not more expensive than plain slide printing and a fraction
of hand masked Ilfochrome. The secret is that the printer digitally
generates a screen that helps manage the contrast range discrepancies
between slide and paper. You get a very good image, much smoother than
plain slide print or auto Ilfochrome. If you put your nose on it
(really), you'll see the screen. They do not go to very large prints (if
I remember well, the maximum is 30x40 cm).

Regarding prints and since we are speaking of Brussels, I would not
dismiss minilab negative printing in all cases. A good minilab with
competent workers and good processing hardware can do wonders for piece
by piece enlargements. You can interact directly with the operator
(which is not the case with industrial labs) and get him/her to redo the
enlargement till he/she gets the most out of the negative. I have had
very very nice experiences with Minit Colors at the Bascule and in the
Gallerie de la Monnaie (outside rush hours). They also have a low price
proof print offer (8x11cm) though they do not advertize it, which is a
good way to minimize waste at the first processing stage.

Friendly regards,
Alan
Brussels-Belgium.