Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie shooting at wedding shower
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:05:16 -0400

Ron,

If I were shooting this I would go with the TMZ rated at 1600 and
processed in TMax developer. My normal flourescent room exposure with
ASA 400 is 1/30@f4.0 so with that as a rough benchmark you can adjust
from there. I would also use the Fuji 800 without filtration and have
the lab correct it after the fact. Why put another light degrading
surface in front of the lens not to mention the loss of approx. 2 stops
to a filter? I just checked the focus/depth-of-field scale on my 35
Summicron and at f5.6 prefocused at 10' you have "sharpness" from
approx. 7'to 15'.

Now is a good time to learn Leica technique. Practice feeling where the
focus tab on the lens is when focused at different distances. Practice
estimating distance and pre-setting the focus of the lens. Practice
having the camera set and ready and concentrate on seeing. Don't forget
you're also using neg films and they are mighty forgiving. Also, don't
obsess about critical color unless you're photographing clothing or
interiors for reproduction. Skin tone is what matters. Don't make it too
complicated or you'll be just like me today using my Canon EOS with all
their auto crap and trying to figure out what they're interpreting and
how to defeat them.

Carl Socolow
Ron K. Miller wrote:

> In a month, I will be photographing plenty of candid shots of  attendees
> in a wedding bridal shower at night in a private home.

 SNIP

> BTW if anyone has experience shooting in this environment, please share
> your thoughts.
> Much thanks in advance for enlightment. ;-) ;-)
>
> Sorry if posting too long but trying to cover all bases.

- --
Carl Socolow

Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.