Subject: Re: [Leica] Russar 20mm lens
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:56:10 -0400

At 09:16 AM 6/26/98 +0100, Alex Brattell wrote:
>Does anyone use this lens? any particular qualities? i.e Is it any good?!

The 5.6/20 Russar MR-2 is a Topogon clone derived from this epic CZJ
design.  As is endemic to the Topogon breed, it is a bit slow and suffers
from about a one to one-and-a-half stop drop at the corners.  But it is
quite rectilinear and quite sharp and its colour acutance is excellent.

A Russar suits my needs well, but then I am not a wide-angle shooter by any
means.  I have used one for years and have found it quite acceptable, and
I've never felt the urge to invest in a regular Leica wide-angle lens.

The M6 meter will work with a Russar.

Oh:  as with anything SPS (Soviet/Post-Soviet), quality control is a
problem.  A return privilege is a wise idea when purchasing one.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!