Subject: Re: [Leica] Russar 20mm lens
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:51:51 -0800

>Does anyone use this lens? any particular qualities? i.e Is it any good?!

I used one for two years. It's a good lens. You won't be wasting time
taking pictures with it: they won't embarass you or stand out as inferior
in a slide show (one of my favorites of a full double rainbow was taken
with this lens).

After a while I realized how much I enjoyed a wide angle, however, and
traded up to a 21 Elmarit-M. The primary reasons were

1) Convenience: the Russar requires an LTM adaptor and this can't be left
on when the rear lens cap is on. In practice the mounting and unmounting
and stowing are a bit cumbersome if you use the lens frequently.

2) Speed: At f/5.6 (and wanting to stop down a bit to improve quality) the
lens does limit low light use, and I like to shoot in low light.

3) Optics: A late model Leica lens will be better, but the Russar is an
excellent way to test the waters before committing to a Leica wide angle.

As Marc pointed out, it might be all that you need if you only occasionally
want to shoot that wide.

Have fun with it.

- -Charlie