Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Base Length
From: "Cyrus Gardner" <gardner@pop-list.cais.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 06:57:38 +0000

> I have an old Zeiss Ikon folder with an RBL of just less than 50mm.
> It uses two superimposed images to focus.  It works great (for me),
> even wide open.  Is there something about other rangefinders, such as
> Leica, that requires much longer RBFs?  Put another way, should I
> expect a CLE (with very similar RBL) to focus as well as my folder?
> TIA.
  May have answerd my own question with a little research <g>.
Effective Base Length depends on magnification, and I have no idea
what the mag is on the folder.  Also, it's a 6x6, so prints are
enlarged less.  Maybe I wouldn't be so happy with the results if I
were enlarging those negs as much as a 35 . . .  <g>.
Cyrus Gardner
Kormendi\Gardner Partners
202/822-0900 voice
202/331-1151 fax