Subject: Re: [Leica] Don't be shy (was wedding newbie)
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 20:58:07 +0200

> From: Ted Grant
>
> Well of course that's true, however what you are or appear to be
doing is
> belittling photojournalists who work as true recorders of life as we
know
> it around the world.

I am definately not bashing photojournalists.  What I do say is that PJ
technique is not necessarilly the best (or in your words the only) way
to photograph a wedding reception/shower whatever.  I fully understand
the rational of a PJ not influencing the scene for the benifit of
readers who were not present and who expect accuracy.  However, all the
guests at a reception are already present so PJ ethics don't apply as
the guests themselves are both the players and purchasers of the
prints.  So what's the big deal?

I am not a photojournalist nor am I a fly on a wall.  Quantom mechanics
has proved that nothing can be observed, not even a quark, without an
interaction altering its trajectory.  The only way a lone man with or
without a camera can be unobtrusive in a room full of females with
"wedding" on the mind is if he went in drag.  Better to take a billiard

Its a question of style, and I am grateful that mine is wierd because I
am a constant source of amazement to myself. :-)

Alan Hull