Subject: Re: [Leica] What should I be looking for in a Focomat Ic
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 98 08:27:12 +0800

Tom Abrahamsson wrote,

>check for scratches
>and chips on the surface. Very pricey to replace if damaged! Also ask for the
>"anti-newton" ring glass that sits on the front (bottom) of condensor and
>when
>the seller tells you that he doesn't have one, look dejected and drop your
>offered price slightly.

PMFJI but I learnt a good trick (actually thought of it myself) when the
anti-newton ring glass on my Valoy II was scratched: brush it with
toothpaste and toothbrush. It did the trick perfectly. Guess you could
really clean your lenses that way too!! But seriously  - for the frosted
glass of the anti-n glass it was perfect.

By the way I have a defunct Focomat IIc without lenses and a few other
crucial bits but there is a clean condenser I would consider parting with
should you or anyone else be stuck with the $1200 prospect of needing a
replacement. Unless that is someone can persuade me that the emasculated
hulk can be rebuilt...

It is in the UK now, not Shanghai, by the way.

As for the Valoy II - it is absolutely my favourite bit of photo gear and
I just love the tonality of the prints. Besides it is a beautiful thing
and has no AF to get out of whack or need adjustment for different
lenses. I use it very happily with Rodenstock, Leica, Schneider and Nikon
enlarging lenses and though I was always disappointed with the Focotar
50/4.5 when used on other enlargers it seems the best of my bunch with
the Valoy for most photos: somehow it seems to match the contrast range
of my negs/paper/processing system best with minimal dodging - almost
magic!

Alan - don't forget to check there is a 35mm negative carrier included
with any prospective Focomat Ic or Valoy (same part) because you can
spend a lot of time and money looking for one. As for the IIc its
negative carrier costs more than most complete enlargers. Frankly such
preposterous costs for parts and servicing were what put me off buying a
s/h IIc (fully loaded and fully functional) when I was last in the UK

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist
Shanghai, China