Subject: other myths - Re: [Leica] M6 Myths
From: "Bryan Willman" <bryanwi@seanet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 14:24:40 -0700

The below has some truth, of course, but
then again the guy is still using them, eh?

<snip>

"The Leica rangefinder is surrounded by an aura of mechanical precision and
optical perfection - qualities reflected in its high price. Confirmed Leica
user Paul Ross questions the myths and concludes that you can't believe all
you hear..."

<snip>

Here's a comparable take at Eos autofocus
cameras that might amuse you all, and give
a little perspective.  (Yes, I am a big time EOS
user, as well as a devoted Leica user.  Yes,
I have a hard time keeping up with the film...)

Myth 1: AF is always faster.
With some cameras, many lenses, less
than bright light, or weak batteries, a
tape measure can be faster than AF.
(And the worse AF is doing the better
an M6 will do.  But of course the M6 works
just fine in bright light too.)

Myth 2: AF is very accurate.
When it's locked on, it is focused very
accurately.  On something.  When it's
not locked on, it's certain to make a
total blurr.

Myth 3: Modern AF gear is durable.
In practice, it's no more durable than
anything else, since an airline baggage
handler can break anything.  So can
a concrete floor.  All cameras I own
are more waterproof than paper and
less waterproof than I am...

Myth 4: Canon/Nikon gear is less $ than Leica.
Is it?  Before the last devaluing of the yen,
I bought Eos1nRS bodies for $2600 and
M6 bodies for $2000.  Now, Canon stuff
is less expensive in the way that great sapphires
are less pricey than great diamonds....

Myth 5: Canon/Nikon light meters give better results.
Not that I've ever noticed.  The only meter that
actually gives a "better answer" isn't embedded
in a camera.  (Special exception - TTL flash metering
is in fact better - if only 1 flash is in use.)

Myth 6: Canon has reached lens speed parity.
There is a 50f1.0L.  There are entire 120 cameras
that are smaller and weigh less.  There is no 35f1.4.
Period.  I make the Canon rep crazy by reminding
him of this at every opportunity.

Myth 7: AF SLRs are easier to hand to a stranger.
Odd, I have *never* gotten a non-photographer to
take a picture with an EOS camera, even though
when set to "P" mode they are literally P&S.
It would be hard to be easier, but they scare people.
But I did get a tour guide to do quite nicely with
my M6.

(Bored on the plane, waiting to get to the lab)
bmw