Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 and 75 summiluxes
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 98 17:16:24 +0800

>Yet, the
>discussions of these lenses seem to indicate that the 75 1.4 has better wide
>open performance than the 50 1.4.  I do not have a 50 1.4.  Does anyone who
>has both lenses comment on the relative performance?

Tom,

I have both and think they are both excellent for their special low-light
capabilities as well as for general use. Wide open I think they are
rather similar - not as sharp as the 35/1.4ASPH wide open but good clean
contrast, flare-resitant and nice separation of the in and out of focus
parts of the photo. I do however also have both a 50/2 and a 90/2.8 (as
of three weeks ago) and find that I prefer these for their lower weight,
faster focussing capabilities and more manageable filter sizes. But if
you need the speed you don't have the choice!

The 75 does have a lovely creamy tonality in both high and low contrast
lighting which is rather special. Oh and you might have trouble with the
75mm frames in the viewfinder - not as distinct in rapid use as the 50
and 90 frames. And the M6HM has the same frame pattern so that is no
answer...

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw