Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: srlondon@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:20 -0400

Maybe antiquated is too strong of a word, but I do agree with that you're saying.  No, the M6 is not perfect, but there are no perfect cameras. The important question for a photographer evaluating a camera is, "Does it allow me to make the most of my photographic talent and help me make great pictures?"  Leave, "Is it perfect?" to the engineers.  In my mind, it works better as a camera and is more fun to use than any other I've owned.  A camera requires no more or less justification than that.

When I show people photos I've taken with an M, they respond to the image.  They don't say, "Hmmm... your shutter is showing and underexposure error of 7.32 percent and your rangefinder alignment is off... better have that looked at!"  If the image is successful, that's all that matters.

The mechanical versus electronic shutter debate is somewhat like the modern engine versus pre-computerized engine debate in the car world.  It is nonsense to reminisce about the cars of the Sixties with misty eyes and a fond recollection about how much faster  and better handling they were, when a quick glance at the road test listings in the back of a car magazine show that many upscale family sedans best the high-performance cars of yesteryear in acceleration, handling, and economy.  Do some older cars have a certain style and panache which make them a blast to drive and a joy to the eye?  Certainly... that is why you buy one.  Not because it can beat a new car on the numbers.