Subject: [Leica] OFF-TOPIC -> Condenser help
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:45:02 -0600

I posted the message below on the medium format digest and no one has
responded.  If anyone has any advice, please e-mail me privately, since the
only thing remotely related to the LUG is that I happened to be printing
some negatives which were taken with a Leica.
::::::::::::::::::::

Subject: Condenser light falloff
Date: 1998-06-27

I was printing some 35mm b&w negatives earlier today and experienced some
serious light falloff problems at the corners.  I wonder if anyone can
help.  I was using a 45MX condenser on a 4x5 Beseler enlarger with a 50mm
enlarging lens, aperture set at f/8.  The print size was roughly 11 x 16",
and I was getting more than 2 stops of light falloff at the ends, moreso on
one side of the print than another.  Alignment is OK.  Everything is sharp
throughout.
   I tried adjusting the negative stage (the bellows section above the
negative carrier) up and down, but light falloff did not seem to improve.
Could there be something wrong inside the condenser head ... like a lens
out of position or something?
   If anyone is using one of these enlargers, I am missing the negative
stage guide.  Could you measure and please send me the distance settings to
use to set the negative stage when printing a) 35mm, b) 2 1/4 sq and c) 4x5.
   I tried burning in the corners but it was too difficult to get the burn
even so that there was no perceptible difference in tone across the print.

- -GH