Subject: Re: [Leica] Rust belt
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:18:23 -0600

>I plan to be travelling in pensylvania this week and will be passing a rusted
>up steel mill.  I plan to take some time to photograph this with my M3 and
>brand new 50 summicron.  Any ideas for film? I think I will be shotting
>primarily color print but maybe some chrome too.  Any thoughts on such a
>progect.  I'll be metering with a handheld minolta incident light meter so the
>sparking off the rust shouldn't affect the exposure.
>Any advice will be helpfull.
>
>--
>Michael Garmisa <elmar@webreach.com>
>30-Jun-98 17:34:59

Yes,  If you are interested in steel mills, then by all means you should
take a look at Gene Smith's Pittsburgh pictures.  He has some really
terrific pictures of steelworkers and the mills they worked in.  The one
showing the steelworker with the fiery furnace reflecting in his goggles is
one of my favorites.  There is an aperture monograph available in
bookstores with some of these pictures in it.
    For a delighful taste of Smith's Pittsburgh pictures over the internet,
there is a magazine called Doubletake that has some of the pictures on the
web (and in a recent back issue).
See:
http://aaswebsv.aas.duke.edu/docstudies/doubletake/issues/12/smith/index/index.h
tml

Another suggestion is to take a ride on a riverboat while you are in
Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh is a very pretty place.  Go up to Mt. Washington for a great
view of the city.
  Oh, I almost forgot, you were only asking about film.  If I were shooting
a steelmill, I'd use black and white.  If color slides were needed, I think
I'd shoot Kodachrome.

Mark Walberg  -  a former steelworker.  I'll bet I'm one of the few on the
LUG that has been a member of the United Steelworkers of America.