Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:36:16 -0500

At 10:59 PM 6/30/98 +0800, you wrote:

>But if Leica does not have much credibility amongst such photojournalists
>where will it find a market in future? I believe Leica needs to try very
>hard now to gain acceptance in the markets it has lost amongst pro
>photographers or they will find themselves the Bugattis of the photo
>world: well-crafted, beautiful, highly collectible, exhilarating to use
>but bankrupt and forgotten by most.

Photojournalists are conservative, and lemmings! Way too much, anyway. And
as you point out, the White House is the perfect setting for using the AF
fill-flash sync high speed film with little time to think kind of shooting.
AF country all the way.

But they aren't the guys I'd talk to about what is quality equipment. The
stuff they put out on a daily basis doesn't deserve Leica optics.

But go to National Geographic and ask how many use Leicas there. I can
think of a score right off the top of my head, and this is the elite of
photographers anywhere. (There's some not top talents there too, but on the
whole, they're mostly masters). Mangum too. Read the latest book about them
and Leica is mentioned as the symbol of Magnum photographers.

Who would I aspire to be more like? The White House Press Corps (whom I
respect for what they do) - shudder - or Magnum and National Geographic?
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He, who will not reason, is a bigot;
he, who cannot, is a fool;
and he, who dares not, is a slave.

William Drumond, Scottish writer  (1585-1649)