Subject: [Leica] Mercury batts in the US
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

    Regarding the legality, I think our resident legal eagle, Marc James
S has said here on a number of occasions that what is illegal is the
DISPOSAL of Hg batts, rather than the MANUFACTURE  or SALE of same.
    If I am correct in my quotation and Marc is correct on the law, then
it would seem to be OK for us to buy them from wherever, BUT not to
discard them. Ever. Maybe put spent ones in your safe-deposit box, and
thus pass the problem to your heirs?
Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh