Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 23:47:12 +0800

>Read the latest book about them
>>and Leica is mentioned as the symbol of Magnum photographers.

Eric,

With all due respect I think that was then - not now!

Leica Ms are indeed prevalent but not I think even the main tool any more
for most:Of the Magnum photographers I have met or know what they are now
using-

Rene Burri uses Nikons most of the time (though he still uses Ms
occasionally), Paul Lowe was using EOS mainly but also carried an M6,
Stewart Franklin has switched to EOS as his main system, Philip Jones
Griffiths used Olympus for a long time (but has a few MPs stashed in a
vault as an investment!), Bruce Davidson used Canon, Contax G and Noblex
for the last couple of projects I heard of, and of course HCB uses a
pencil and paper these days.

One common characteristic of a camera used by Magnum photographers and
their ilk has been that they like them small and unobtrusive -  which
makes me wonder where the R8 mold is leading Leica.

The M's heyday was when photojournalism was mainly b/w and when it was
clearly superior to the alternatives in focussing the important wideangle
through standard range of lenses which IMHO is where most of the most
powerful photographs are made. This superiority is no longer so clear cut
with the precise AF wide-angle zooms plus fluid and over-rideable
automation of current AF slrs giving an edge in exposure control and
versatilty, plus faster film advance/reloading. OTOH as HCB always said
of the Leica - the viewfinder is the important thing. He kept using the
same lens (collapsible summicron) for most of the last 40 years of active
shooting so it is not as though he is obsessed with state of the art
optics!

By the way I just got my copy of Russell Miller's book on the history of
Magnum this afternoon and have been devouring it: great stuff and
required reading for all LUGGERs!

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw