Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 19:19:59 -0500

At 10:35 AM 7/1/98 -0400, you wrote:

>If I were to beleive that thread here last week "Leica and 15-year old
>technology," which pretty much said "Leica's are simple to use and we like it
>that way!"  I can't think of a better camera for a beginner!!  I wish I would

Yes. Having to think how the aperture is changing as you move that doo
hickey, and which shutter speed you are picking as to twirl the dial causes
a person to slow down and think about what they're doing. Using a camera in
auto mode may be theoretically just as good a learning tool. I don't doubt
that, but it's going to take more discipline to slow down and think what
one is doing. AF, ditto.

On the other hand, if that is all true, then maybe the M6 is the ideal
camera, because you can't see the shutter speed or aperture in the
viewfinder. Just the exposure in half stops, not tied to any specific
numbers. You have to pull the camera away from the eye and see what you're
doing. And with the R8, I'm not willing to give up all the info in the
display.

A good mix of technology for the given job is the ideal, no matter what
that might entail. The camera just needs to get out of the way.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch