Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-More Jim, less BS
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:25:46 +0200

Jim Brick wrote:
> Two and a half years ago, my daughter turned 15-1/2. Time for her to learn
> to drive. I have a BMW station wagon (Touring for those on the other side
> of the A pond). My wife has a BMW sedan, as do my two oldest sons. They are
> Internet/network engineers. One son still lives at home. Nothing but BMW's
> available.

I learned on a Citroen 2CV.  A "pure" car, with no electronics
whatsoever, no auto gears, no assisted steering. Just a battery and 2
cylinders: the K1000 of cars. That's the only way to learn REAL driving
;-)

> Anyway,
> she makes a lot of money as a waitress in a local restaurant.

Don't mean to sound rude in any way, but waitresses around here must do
a lot of work on top of waiting if they ever hope to buy a R7...(a R7 -
body only - is equivalent to 2 and 1/2 months net wages of a waitress in
Brussels). I used to be a waiter-student (or the other way round) but
had to pay my rent, my food, my books and my transportation. Did not
leave anything for cameras (and thank god my evening meal was free where
I worked)...

BTW my daughter just turned 9 years old. She likes photography. Her
birthday present was a exc+ Nikon FM + 50mm f1.8.  She wanted a Leica M.
Really ! Next week she is following an intensive summer class in
photojournalism  :-)

Friendly regards,
Alan,
Brussels-Belgium