Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 11:27:45 -0600

Alan Ball wrote:
>And the less you HAVE to play with rings and dials, the more the camera
>is out of the way. That is the advantage of muti zone AF, high end ultra
>sophisticated matrix metering, high end ultra sophisticated auto-flash
>mangement and fast motors  ;-)

True up to a point, the auto cameras can be faster sometimes.  Maybe they
would even be faster if they took away all those billboards of information
blaring at you in the viewfinder, constantly distracting you from
concentrating on your subject and composition.  :@)
   That auto stuff is not entirely a good thing, even when trying to work
fast, though.  Nothing is more frustrating to me than the following
situation: I press the shutter release on an N90 at precisely the right
moment. The N90 then spends WAY too much of a second while making up its
mind whether it is OK to shoot the picture.  Picture is missed.
    That one thing, more than anything else, is what got me using
rangefinder and tlr cameras (and even a Nikon F2 once in a while).  They
all do what I tell them to do, WHEN I tell them to do it.  And, I do like a
clean viefinder without any distractions.
Mark Walberg