Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Int'l price differences
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 18:24:34 -0700

Michael Garmisa wrote:

> On 03-Jul-98 Mark wrote:
> > further, unless one wants to smuggle, i believe that duty would be
> > owed on any leica gear as there is little they sell that is less
> > than the duty-free allowance.

> Maybe a stupid question but how do they know where you bought it?

um.....as they are empowered to go through all your luggage they
can find the paperwork ?

about 20 years ago i got into trouble at UK customs for bringing in
a flute. they thought i was carrying drugs and went over everything
(i was strip searched). i ended up having to pay duty on the flute,
they didn't fine me or confiscate the flute (both within their power).
since then i have been kind of aware about the potential screw ups
that can happen when bringing stuff across borders.

i have never brought anything across a border that i should not
have since <cough> <cough>.....

mark