Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Int'l price differences
From: Denton Taylor <denton@asan.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 07:30:09 -0400

>>>I would have thought, that when buys a $2000 camera body, to which one
adds a $1000 lens, that nothing better damn well go wrong with it! >>>>

Is it possible that you are really this naive? Is there anything
manufactured in the world that neither never breaks, nor can be broken? >>

I understand the rest of your post concerning the many advantages of a
Passport warranty. FWIW, I bought my M6 as a Leica-warranteed demo through
an authorized factory dealer.

But naive? I don't think so... Ever-increasing quality brought about be
improved manufacturing processes (TQM, ISO 9000) has raised consumer
expectations. Consumers can buy a $250 camera like a Rebel G or similar,
and have every expectation that it will be problem-free.

So why not a Leica? After all, Leica's advertising uses quality as a reson
to spend this amount of money... Page 28 of the M6 brochure is devoted
entirely to quality, with two headings stating 'Uncompromising Quality
Control' and 'Quality is no Secret'. It even states 'That is a warranty for
exceptional durability and good-as-new appearance even after decades of
rigorous use'.

That's pretty strong language, and personally, I would be extremely
disappointed in the marque if a newly-purchased M6 needed service.
Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com