Subject: [Leica] 50 Summicron or Summilux
From: Ben Tuason <debugger@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 10:05:01 -0700

I'm trying to decide whether to get a 50 Summicron or a 50 Summilux to
use as a general-purpose lens, for a one-lens shooting kit.

I tried the 35 Summicron and found it a bit too wide for all-around
use.  For a 50, I have recently bought a Noctilux and am terribly
enjoying it.  ("Out, damn light.")  However, because of its weight and
size, I am sure I will not want to carry it around often, especially on
trips and such.  And for candid shots, the monstrous lens is bound to
attract too much attention (and hostility).

So I'm faced with the 50 Summicron/Summilux decision.  Speed-wise, the
Summilux has the advantage, but I'd like to hear people's feedback with
regards to picture quality and handling.  I would especially like to
hear from those who have used both lenses.  I shoot mainly in black and
white (XP2, Delta 400 and TMZ).

Thanks in advance.
Ben